Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The questions we ask.

Over the course of this year I have been asked this question so many times. So why are you doing this? What made you decide to do this? Why would you do this without any monetary compensation?  And believe me you are not the only one asking me that, I still ask myself that question many times each week, thinking that there is so many easier things I could do. Thinking I must be crazy, why work two jobs so that we can afford this trip. Can’t I just donate some money or support a cause and I have done my little part.
It is one of those questions I have tried to explain and answer, but it is not something I can really put into words. For those of you that have ever made the decision to listen to what the universe whispers in your ear will understand what I mean. It is something that I just knew I had to do. The why, how, when and where was what I needed to figure out. It was a journey in itself to me, to come to the point of not struggling against what I knew. Surrendering yourself is not an easy journey, one that is still a battle for me every day. When so many doors close, there will be that one door that only lets in a glimmer of light and I will knock harder the next time. But for the first time in my forty two years I have found a peace in what I know, I have stopped asking myself the question why why why. I was so determined to find out the reason to everything that I forgot to just be quiet.  My life has always been such a puzzle, some very difficult times, when I questioned my life, and why I needed to go through everything I did. Now I do understand, as without those strengths and lessons I could never have been the person I am now. But I am still learning every day. But since working on this project and dream I am finding my inner strength again, the purpose I needed to be who I am now.  

The bigger question I get is why art? Why are you focusing on that? Believe me, it is not something I just decided on one day. For some reason the universe has guided me to come to this point. I still don’t know if this is where my purpose would be, but it has been very exciting to see how a small seed has sprouted. Art, reading and dreaming is the one thing that played such a big part in my childhood. As a child, things were not as rosy as it is in many homes. During the week I remember counting the days till the weekends. Not because of family outings or playing with my friends. I counted the days till I could lose myself in my books and drawings. On Saturdays I remember waking up and spending the entire weekend in my room. Reading reading and drawing. Losing myself in dreams, hopes and believing in wishes. Whatever was happening outside of my room did not matter. As I was allowed to be happy, smile and dream through books and pictures. And for that reason I know how important it is for each and every child to have the opportunity to know that wishes and dreams do come true. For them to see beyond their situation, to use their imagination. There is nothing more special than when a child for the first time creates something, something that they made. To see the light in their eyes and the excitement and beauty in them, and it is the most precious gift for me to be a part of that. That is my reward, which makes everyday worth it. There is no way I can put a monetary value on that.

At this point we have no funds to purchase art supplies. But I have been working on collecting used supplies, bidding on a site where I sell and buy. I do not know at this point how many children we will be able to involve as it will depend on the collection. But I hope that you can be a part of our dream and bring color into the schools of Nepal with us. Maybe it is a time for me/us to have faith in what we believe, no matter how the odds are stacked against us. I have heard from so many that this is not the kind of projects people sponsor, but I believe once each and every one of us think back to when we were young, how important creating, dreaming and wishes were in our lives, then it all will be. Can you imagine never……    

No comments:

Post a Comment